Follow the Murrysville Volunteer Program on Facebook! Just click on the icon below and it will take you directly to the Facebook page!
To locate the most up-to-date volunteer opportunities, click on either the Facebook icon or the MVP icon below. There you will find appeals for volunteers to help with either short-term (a one-time event) or long-term (an ongoing need) opportunities.
Our Mission – To increase volunteer awareness and engagement in both community and municipal roles
Our Initial Goals –
• Raise community awareness and recognize needs for community volunteering
• Streamline existing volunteer efforts to increase volunteer participation
• Serve as a conduit for residents who are interested in volunteering
• Enhance relationship between local service organizations and the Municipality
• Increase knowledge of Municipal operations and volunteer opportunities
Theme – Emphasize and reinforce how volunteers can get involved and where to get engaged…how to make a difference…with the end goal to establish a broader and more effective level of volunteer participation in the community, while improving the service level of volunteer organizations.
Vision – To establish a robust volunteer matchmaking program that will impact our community in significant, positive ways by meeting needs and improving our quality of life.
• Core Values – Fostering a sense of community belonging
• Enriching people’s lives through service
• Promoting volunteering to volunteers of all ages from youth to seniors
• Developing fiscally responsible opportunities for enhancing the community’s quality of life
• Engaging residents in city government to build relationships and leadership
#10: It’s good for you.
Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
• Reduces stress: Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual
• Makes you healthier: Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, and control over one’s fate, strengthen the
#9: It saves resources.
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.
• A volunteer’s time has been estimated to have a value of over $25.00 per hour.
#8: Volunteers gain professional experience.
You can test out a career.
#7: It brings people together.
As a volunteer you assist in:
• Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
• Building camaraderie and teamwork
#6: It promotes personal growth and self-esteem.
Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
#5: Volunteering strengthens your community.
As a volunteer you help:
• Support families (daycare and eldercare)
• Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
• Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
• Beautify the community (park cleanups)
#4: You learn a lot.
Volunteers learn things like these:
• Self: Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change their view on self-worth.
• Government: Through working with service organizations, volunteers learn about the functions and operation
of our government.
• Community: Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
#3: You get a chance to give back.
People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
#2: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility.
Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
#1: You make a difference.
Every person counts!
Volunteers are encouraged to contact the organizations directly, however, if you do have general questions about the Murrysville Volunteer Program, you are welcome to call 724-327-2100 ext. 115 or e-mail email@example.com for information.
Clearance Information: Some volunteer opportunities will require clearances. Please check with your organization of choice to understand their requirements. To volunteer with the Municipality’s recreation programs or Volunteer Fire Departments, you must have your Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check Clearance, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, and FBI Fingerprinting (or waiver, if you’ve lived in Pennsylvania continuously for the last ten years). The first two clearances are free; the FBI Fingerprinting is not.
Municipal Boards, Commissions, and Committees: To volunteer for one of the Boards, Commissions, or Committees, please complete the Volunteer Application Form.
Tips for Volunteers Handbook: Check out this helpful guide on volunteering!
Select a Cause: Please see the sidebar to the right for the many volunteering opportunities available.
All About MVP: The Murrysville Comprehensive Plan recognized the benefits attributable to a system of volunteers, which have proven successful in many communities throughout the United States. The Plan recommended that Murrysville explore the feasibility and roles of the Municipality providing support within a community-wide integrated system of volunteers. Thus, efforts to study what other cities across the U.S. began and the basis for such a program in Murrysville was established. The Murrysville Volunteer Program as it stands today is only a starting point that our community will build upon, enhance and improve with time and experience.
Slogan: “Be an MVP!”
Organizations – Submit Your Volunteer Needs on the application below!