Murrysville Council consists of 7 resident members who are elected at-large for a term of four years. The Municipality of Murrysville is not comprised of "wards" or "districts", so Council members serve all of the community, not just certain areas.
In order to provide some experience and continuity, the terms are staggered with elections held every two years. For instance, three council members will be elected in 2019 and four will be elected in 2021. Council candidates must be residents of Murrysville for at least one year prior to filing for this office and they shall remain residents throughout their term of office. No councilperson is eligible to serve more than two consecutive terms. All newly elected council members shall begin their duties on the first Monday of the year following their election by taking an oath of office as required by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Although citizens may contact any individual councilperson with problems or suggestions, that information should be brought before the entire Council if action is required. The legislative powers of the Municipality are vested in Council as a whole and this power is to be administered only as a body. No individual councilperson has any authority or power to speak or act for Council except as authorized by the entire Council.
Community input is accepted at each Council Meeting. There is no pre-registration required. Per the Municipality's Charter, Section C-45:
Council shall provide reasonable opportunity for interested citizens and taxpayers to address Council on matters of general or special concern. This opportunity shall be afforded to the public at all Council meetings and at other meetings that may be set for this purpose. Citizens' comments shall be made a part of the official minutes.
Powers & Duties
Following are some of the Council powers and duties that are specified in the Charter:
- Adopt and amend an Administrative Code
- Adopt the annual budget and authorize any changes to it throughout the year
- Adopt a personnel system and set the compensation of Municipal employees, the Mayor and the Tax Collector in accordance with the Charter
- Adopt rules of procedure for its meetings in accordance with the Charter
- Adopt, amend or repeal all ordinances and resolutions
- Create or abolish all boards and commissions and appoint all of their members
- Designate the depository of all monies
- Designate the official publications that shall carry all legal Municipal notices
- Have any additional power needed to carry out its legislative duties
- Hold public hearings on any matter in accordance with the Charter
- Levy all taxes
- Receive all gifts of real or personal property in the name of the Municipality
Murrysville Council meets the FIRST and THIRD Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the Municipal Building Council Chambers, unless otherwise specified. Agendas and Minutes are also available for the public to view.
Watch Live Meetings
Council meetings are streamed live on the website at the following link: https://www.murrysville.com/211/Channel-19
Meetings can also be watched live on Comcast Cable Channel 19
Meetings are also uploaded to the Municipal YouTube Channel the day following the meeting and can be accessed here: https://www.murrysville.com/211/Channel-19